This Sweet Cucumber Salad is made with crisp cucumbers, slices of red onion and fresh dill all tossed in a sweet and tangy vinaigrette that easily comes together in less than 10 minutes! Perfect summer side dish that is light and refreshing!
This sweet cucumber salad was first shared on my site over 10 years ago and is one I just love so much! And since I happen to have SO many cucumbers I need to use up, this recipe is perfect to share again with fresh new photos. This cucumber onion salad is light, refreshing and super easy to make. The perfect summertime side dish to enjoy alongside all those heavier, meatier dishes! You only need a few simple ingredients and everything comes together in less than 10 minutes for the best cucumber salad recipe!
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
- Fresh, crisp and healthy salad!
- You only need a few simple ingredients and can easily be made in under 10 minutes.
- Easily customizable and can always throw in extra veggies.
- Can easily be prepped ahead of time for quick assembly and meal prep.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- cucumbers – I like to use English cucumbers as they have fewer seeds, thinner skins and tend to be less watery and more crunchy than regular cucumbers, but Persian cucumbers or mini cucumbers work great too. I personally like to leave the skin on them, but feel free to peel the cucumbers if you prefer.
- red onion – adds a nice savory flavor to this salad as well as a good crunch! You could also add in green onions or even shallots as well.
- white vinegar – adds some zip to this salad. You could also use champagne vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
- honey – adds the perfect touch of sweetness, feel free to use maple syrup if vegan.
- fresh dill– gives this salad that delicious fresh taste. You could use other fresh herbs too like parsley, basil or fresh mint.
- salt + pepper – brings all the flavors together.
How to Make Sweet Cucumber Salad
- Salt and drain cucumbers. After you thinly slice the cucumbers using a sharp knife or mandoline, place the cucumbers in a colander in the sink and sprinkle them with a little salt. This is a little trick I do that helps draw out excess moisture from the cucumbers keeping them nice and crisp for our salad.
- Make dressing. In a small bowl, whisk together the white vinegar and honey until the honey is completely dissolved.
- Toss together the salad! Add the cucumbers, red onion and dill to a large bowl and stir everything together with the sweet vinaigrette. Take a bite and season with salt and black pepper, as needed. Cover and chill in the fridge for about 15 to 30 minutes before serving.
Other Fun Additions
- Make it creamy – add in about a 1/2 cup of Greek yogurt or sour cream to make this a deliciously creamy salad! Feta cheese or crumbled goat cheese would taste great too.
- Add a protein – feel free to add in some protein-packed chickpeas or a meat-based protein such as shredded chicken, tuna or salmon.
- More veggies – add more nutrition to this salad with extra veggies such as cherry tomatoes, grape tomatoes, bell peppers or chopped avocado.
- Make it a salad – throw in some leafy greens like fresh arugula, romaine or other lettuce to make a whole salad.
- Boosts of flavor – add even more flavor to this salad by mixing in a little garlic with the vinegar dressing or add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
Prepping and Storage
To Make Ahead: To prep this salad ahead of time, simply pre-slice the cucumbers and red onion (follow the instructions on draining the excess moisture out of the cucumbers first) and store them in a separate container from the cucumber salad dressing in the fridge to prevent the salad from getting too soggy. When ready to serve, toss the salad together as directed.
To Store: This salad can be stored in a sealed, airtight container in the fridge and will last for about 2 to 3 days.
More Easy Salad Recipes You’ll Love
Hope you all enjoy this Sweet Cucumber Salad recipe and if you love this as much as we do, please leave me a five-star rating below and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram using the hashtag #eatyourselfskinny! I love seeing all your delicious recreations!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 10 mins
- 2 English cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey (or maple syrup)
- Cracked black pepper, to taste
- Add the sliced cucumbers place in a colander in the sink and sprinkle them with salt. This is a little trick I do that helps draw out excess moisture from the cucumbers, keeping them nice and crisp for our salad.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the white vinegar and honey until the honey is completely dissolved.
- Add the cucumbers, red onion and fresh dill to a large bowl and toss with the sweet vinaigrette. Taste and season with salt and pepper, as needed.
- Cover and chill the salad in the fridge for about 15 to 30 minutes before serving, enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1/4th of salad
- Calories: 44
- Sugar: 6.2 g
- Sodium: 294.6 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 10.3 g
- Fiber: 1.3 g
- Protein: 1.2 g
* Please note that all nutrition information are just estimates. Values will vary among brands, so we encourage you to calculate these on your own for most accurate results.