The most delicious Mediterranean Chicken Meatballs packed with flavor and easily made in under 30 minutes! Serve with brown rice, homemade tzatziki sauce, sprinkle on some feta cheese, or pair with a tomato and chickpea salad for a complete meal!
These Mediterranean chicken meatballs can only be described using one word: FLAVOR! Insanely delicious made with simple ingredients in under 30 minutes. These meatballs (which could also be called Greek chicken meatballs) are super easy to throw together too. Simply mix all the ingredients in a bowl, form into meatballs and bake them in the oven! They make a filling dinner served with brown rice and veggies topped with homemade tzatziki sauce, you can prep them for lunches served with a Mediterranean salad, or stuff them in some pita bread and make gyros!
Why You’ll Love These
- Packed with flavor and fresh ingredients!
- Made healthier with lean ground chicken instead of ground beef.
- Easily made in under 30 minutes and are freezer-friendly!
- Great for weekly meal prep served over rice with homemade tzatziki or a chickpea salad.
- This recipe also makes delicious Mediterranean chicken burgers!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- ground chicken – I used ground chicken for these meatballs because I personally prefer the flavor of chicken with these ingredients, but you could also make these using ground turkey, ground beef or ground pork.
- egg – helps to bind everything together, however I have made these meatballs without using the egg and they turned out great!
- breadcrumbs – I used whole wheat Panko breadcrumbs to help the meatballs to keep their round shape, but feel free use gluten-free panko breadcrumbs or even almond flour, if needed.
- sun dried tomatoes – these are a must in this recipe and not only add pops of color to these meatballs, but they add great flavor.
- garlic – adds a flavor boost to the meatballs and fresh minced garlic is always best! If you don’t have fresh garlic cloves, feel free to use a 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder.
- cheese – I used a combination of crumbled feta cheese and grated parmesan cheese, but you could also use goat cheese or leave out entirely if dairy-free.
- green onions – adds color and flavor. You could also use chopped red onion or white onion in this.
- fresh parsley – this adds color and that fresh herb flavor, but you could also use other fresh herbs such as fresh mint, basil, fresh dill or oregano. Dried oregano would taste great as well.
- salt + black pepper – brings the flavors of these meatballs together.
- lemon – this is optional, but I like to squeeze some fresh lemon juice (or lemon zest) over top of the meatballs right before serving! Really brightens the whole dish up.
How to Make Mediterranean Chicken Meatballs
- Mix together the ingredients. In a large bowl, combine ground chicken, egg, breadcrumbs, sun dried tomatoes, feta and parmesan cheese, garlic, green onions, parsley and season with salt and pepper. Mix the meatball mixture together using a spoon or your hands until all combined.
- Make the meatballs. Using a small to medium cookie scoop (I used this 1.2 tablespoon size scoop), make 2-inch sized balls and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet (or sprayed with non-stick spray). You should get about 18 meatballs.
- Bake. Pop the sheet pan in the oven at 400 degrees F and bake for about 20 to 25 minutes, until lightly browned and cooked through. Meatballs should have an internal temp of 165 degrees F when inserting a meat thermometer.
- Serve. Serve these Greek meatballs warm alongside a Mediterranean salad or make these bowls with brown rice, homemade tzatziki sauce (a cucumber greek yogurt-based sauce) and fresh veggies!
Can I Make these Meatballs in a Skillet?
Yes of course! I find that baking meatballs is just easier with less cooking required, but pan frying these meatballs would taste amazing! All you’ll need is about a tablespoon or two of olive oil to coat the pan then add the meatballs, cooking them on medium-high heat, and turn them continuously so that they get browned on all sides and are cooked through, for about 12 minutes.
Can I Make these Meatballs in the Air Fryer?
Absolutely and the air fryer is another way I love to make these! To air fry these meatballs, cook at 400 degrees for about 10 to 12 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through to make sure they evenly cook. Just make sure the internal temperature is 165 degrees.
How to Serve Mediterranean Chicken Meatballs
- Serve as a main dish all on its own over brown rice and a variety of fresh veggies.
- Serve with a side salad such as this Mediterranean chopped salad , this tomato, cucumber and chickpea salad or this healthy Greek salad.
- Build a Mediterranean bowl with brown rice (or cauliflower rice for a low carb option), couscous, quinoa or other grain, along with tomatoes, cucumbers and chickpeas, kalamata olives, and topped with homemade tzatziki, feta cheese or even hummus.
- Make meatball gyros using pita bread and various Greek toppings.
- As an appetizer when serving a delicious Mediterranean spread.
- Serve over pasta tossed with fresh pesto, tomato sauce or this loaded veggie tomato sauce.
Prepping and Storage
To Make Ahead: These meatballs can easily be prepped ahead of time and stored in the fridge tightly covered for 2 or 3 days before baking. When you are ready to bake, simply pop them in the oven and follow recipe instructions.
To Store: These meatballs can be stored in a sealed, airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days and leftovers taste even better making them great for meal prep! To reheat, you can either pop them in the oven at 350 degrees until meatballs are heated through or you can warm them up in the microwave or air fryer.
To Freeze: These meatballs are also freezer-friendly! To freeze, let them cool completely and store in a sealed Ziplock freezer bag for up to 3 months. Let them thaw completely before re-heating.
More Meatball Recipes You’ll Love
Hope you all enjoy these Mediterranean Chicken Meatballs and if you love this recipe as much as we do, please leave me a five-star rating below and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram using the hashtag #eatyourselfskinny! I love seeing all your delicious recreations!
- 1 lb ground chicken (or ground turkey)
- 1/4 cup whole wheat panko breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and black pepper
- Squeeze of lemon (optional)
- Serving Size: 3 meatballs
- Calories: 195
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 403.2 mg
- Fat: 10.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 4.1 g
- Fiber: 0.4 g
- Protein: 17.9 g
* Please note that all nutrition information are just estimates. Values will vary among brands, so we encourage you to calculate these on your own for most accurate results.