It’s so easy to enjoy one of your favorite restaurant meals at home. Air fryer fish and chips are easy to make, healthier and taste amazing! You can make this Air Fryer meal using fresh ingredients or using frozen ingredients in less than 20 minutes. And be sure to check out all my Air Fryer Fish Recipes!
Post includes Weight Watchers points.
If you want to change up your weekly meal plan and add more fish to your diet, you need to try this delicious fish and chips in air fryer recipe. It is an easy weeknight dinner the whole family will love.
Fish and Chips is a classic comfort food meal, and for good reason: flaky white fish and crispy fries are so flavorful.
Making fish and chips from scratch is surprisingly easy to cook in the air fryer, and the cleanup is even easier. Serve with dipping sauce, and kids and adults alike will love this absolutely delicious fish and chips in air fryer. A great solution for dinner tonight.
Like my very easy Crispy Golden Air Fryer Fish and best ever Air Fryer Fish Sticks, this Air Fried fish and chips recipe requires almost no oil at all, it is much healthier than the traditional deep frying method. Yeap, air fryers make this a true family-approved restaurant quality meal that you can serve up guilt-free, whenever the mood strikes.
P.S. Be sure to check out this list of other awesome Air Fryer Fish Recipes.
What Are Fish And Chips?
Fish and chips is a classic meal found throughout the United Kingdom. Traditionally, fish is battered and deep-fried and served alongside a piping hot pile of chips, or fries as they’re known in the United States. Serve with malt vinegar for a quintessentially British meal.
Why Make This Recipe
- Healthy – Less oil means less saturated fat, and less fat is healthier! Plus, fish is loaded with omega-3, which is important for heart health. So much healthier than deep frying.
- Easy – You won’t believe how simple it is to make this pub style fish favorite at home. You only need a little bit of prep time and effort. It is the perfect recipe for beginners.
- Quick – This is one of does delicious recipes that is quick and pretty easy to make for a weeknight Air Fryer Dinner.
- Restaurant style at home – This is a budget friendly way of having takeout at home.
Get the complete ingredients list and instructions from the recipe card below.
- Breadcrumbs – Use your favorite brand of breadcrumbs or select gluten free.
- Garlic Salt – This adds so much flavor to the fish. You can substitute garlic powder and salt.
- Italian Seasoning – This optional ingredient rounds out the flavor. You can also look for Italian bread crumbs which have Italian seasoning added to them.
- Buttermilk – This will give you a tangy flavor and will help the breading to adhere to the fish. If you don’t have buttermilk, add 1 tablespoon of vinegar to a cup of milk and let it sit for a few minutes.
- Fish Fillets – Cod fillet is used in this recipe, but swap in your favorite white fish. Make sure you use good quality fish.
- Potatoes – Look for small to medium roasting or baking potatoes. Russet potatoes are a good bet.
Ready to make this Fish and Chips Air Fryer? Gather your ingredients, and I will show you…
How To Make Air Fryer Fish and Chips
Get the complete ingredients list and instructions from the recipe card below.
To Make the Chips (fries):
- Preheat Air Fryer to 375 degrees F / 190 degrees C. Peel the potatoes and cut them into fries, then add to a bowl and toss with olive oil and salt until well coated.
- Spread the fries out in a single layer inside the air fryer basket.
- Working in batches, cook for 15 – 20 minutes or until crisp, turning halfway through cooking time.
- Remove the fries from the air fryer basket and keep warm until the fish is ready to serve.
To Make the Fish:
- Pat the fish fillets dry with a paper towel.
- Combine breadcrumbs, garlic salt, and Italian seasoning in a shallow bowl, and pour buttermilk into a separate shallow dish.
- Dunk fish fillets into the buttermilk, dipping well, and then allow the excess to drip off.
- Then dredge the first side of the fish in the breadcrumb mixture.
- Flip the fish fillet over and coat the other side, gently pressing down so that the breadcrumbs stick.
- Lightly spray both sides of the fish with olive oil and place inside the air fryer basket.
- Air fry for 11-15 minutes until golden, turning the fish fillets over halfway through the cooking time.
- Serve immediately with the chips, chopped parsley, lemon wedges, and tartar sauce.
Note: It is important to check for doneness using a digital meat thermometer. The internal temperature of fish should reach 145 degrees F / 63 degrees C.
Easily Make This With Frozen Fish And Chips
- Preheat the Air Fryer to 380 degrees F / 190 degrees C add in the fish and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in the chips and cook for 12 – 14 minutes, gently tossing them in the basket twice during cooking until everything is golden, crispy, and cooked through and remove.
- Make sure to also flip the fish halfway through cooking.
- This is best served right away so you have golden warm crispy fish and crispy fries.
- For super crispy fries, soak them in ice water for 20-30 minutes after slicing. Dry thoroughly before air frying. This removes some of the starch, which helps them crisp up.
- No buttermilk? Make your own by combining one tablespoon vinegar with one cup of milk and let sit for 5 minutes before proceeding with the recipe. Check out my post on how to make buttermilk.
- To make this recipe gluten free, use gluten free breadcrumbs.
- Thoroughly dry the fish fillets before dipping them in buttermilk and dredging in breadcrumbs so the flavor and coating sticks to them.
- For the best results, make sure to Preheat your Air Fryer.
- Do not crowd the air fryer basket with the fish or chips. Cook in batches if needed, and keep finished food warm in a low oven until you are ready to serve.
- Cutting fries and fish into uniform sized pieces will allow them to cook more evenly.
- Use tongs or a spatula to carefully flip the fish so as not to break them.
- Use shallow bowls to easily dip the fish into.
- Coat both sides of the fish in a little bit of oil to avoid any sort of dry bread or flour spots.
- Serve with a dipping sauce, such as these favorites:
- Swap The Fish – I use cod, but you can use your favorite white fish. If starting with frozen version, you can use fish sticks or beer battered fish.
- Make It Spicy – Add cayenne pepper to the bread crumb mixture for a spicy battered fish.
- Swap The Seasoning – Blend your favorite seasoning with the breadcrumbs. Try taco, Greek, ranch, Old Bay Seasoning, or Cajun seasoning and black pepper.
- Swap The Breadcrumbs – Looking for even more crunch? Use panko bread crumbs. Alternatively, you can use gluten free breadcrumbs to make this dish gluten free.
- Frozen Fish – you can use frozen cod fillets but let them defrost first.
- Add flour – Use a seasoned flour mixture or gluten free flour like almond flour which you will add into a third bowl. Dredge the fillets in flour mixture, then in the buttermilk, and then in the breadcrumbs. Shake off the excess between each stage.
- Swap the fries – If you prefer, serve with a different style of french fries instead, such as waffle fries, curly fries, or sweet potato fries. Feel free to use frozen french fries.
- Use egg mixture – You can use a beaten egg mixture instead of buttermilk.
Prep And Storage
- Prep Ahead – Cut the fries and let them soak in ice water for about 20 minutes before cooking.
- Store – Leftover fish and chips can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Freeze – Fish and chips can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 2 months.
You can reheat fish and chips in the oven and the air fryer. To reheat in an oven, preheat to 350 degrees F / 175 degrees C and reheat for 15 minutes. To reheat in the air fryer, preheat to 360 degrees F / 182 degrees C and cook for 2-3 minutes until crispy and heated through.
If making it from scratch. It’s best to use fish that has been completely thawed. The batter will not stick to the frozen fish, and the fish may become soggy during the cooking process.
The easiest way to tell if fish is cooked is to use a fork. The fish should be flaky and opaque.
In addition, the internal temperature of fish should be 145 degrees F / 63 degrees C when checked with a meat thermometer. The total time to cook fish can depend on the thickness of the fish.
Yes, you can. Make sure to let all the excess fish batter drip off before frying. If using a batter, line the basket with parchment paper as you put the fillets in. so you reduce the chance of mess in the bottom of the Air Fryer.
You can use various fish like cod, pollock, tilapia, haddock, and even salmon fillets.
This depends on the thickness of the fish. This recipe took 11-15 minutes, but thinner pieces will take less time and thicker pieces will take more time. Check after about 11 minutes and go from there.
More Air Fryer Recipes You May Like
Weight Watchers Points
There are 10 Blue Plan SmartPoints in one serving of this.
Thank you for reading my Fish and Chips in Air Fryer recipe post. And please come visit again as I continue to slice, dice, and dream up affordable Air Fryer recipes, Instant Pot Recipes, Southern Recipes, and more. Thanks for supporting Recipes from a Pantry, food blog.
Get The Air Fryer Fish Recipe With Chips:
Don’t forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Air Fryer Fish and Chips! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I’d love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Air Fryer Fish and Chips
It’s easy to make this classic comfort food from scratch.
To make the chips:
Peel the potatoes and cut them into fries.
Place in a mixing bowl and combine with oil and salt until well coated. Then add them in a single layer inside the air fryer basket.
Working in batches if needed, cook fries for 15-20 minutes or until crisp, turning over halfway through cooking time.
Remove from the air fryer basket and keep warm.
To make the fish:
Combine breadcrumbs, garlic salt and Italian seasoning in a small bowl.
Pour the buttermilk into another bowl.
Pat the fish fillets dry with a paper towel and dip them into the buttermilk, allowing the excess to drip off.
Then dredge both sides in the breadcrumb mixture, lightly pressing down so that it adheres to the fish.
Lightly spray both sides with oil and add to the air fryer basket. Cook for 11-15 minutes until golden, turning over halfway through the cooking time.
To easily make using frozen ingredients;
Preheat the Air Fryer to 380 degrees F / 190 degrees C.
Add in the fish and cook for 5 minutes.
Add in the chips and cook for 12–14 minutes, gently tossing them in the basket twice during cooking until everything is golden, crispy, and cooked through and remove.
Make sure to also flip the fish halfway through cooking.
- For super crispy fries, soak them in ice water for 20-30 minutes after slicing. Dry thoroughly before air frying.
- No buttermilk? Make your own by combining one tablespoon vinegar with one cup of milk and let sit for 5 minutes before proceeding with the recipe.
- To make this recipe gluten free use gluten free breadcrumbs.
- Thoroughly dry the fish fillets before dipping them in buttermilk and dredging in breadcrumbs.
- Do not crowd the air fryer basket with the fish or chips. Cook in batches if needed and keep finished food warm in a low oven until you are ready to serve.
- Cutting fries and fish into uniform-sized pieces will allow them to cook more evenly.
- Note: It is important to check for doneness using a digital meat thermometer. The internal temperature of fish should reach 145F / 63C.
- Storage – keep in an airtight container inside the fridge for up to 3 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- There are 10 WW Blue Plan SmartPoints in one serving of this.
Calories: 314kcal | Carbohydrates: 61g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 7mg | Sodium: 853mg | Potassium: 1032mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 110IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 155mg | Iron: 3mg