White chicken chili is one of our go-to easy weeknight dinner ideas. Chicken, poblano peppers, mild green chilis, corn, and white kidney beans are slow simmered in a savory chicken base. Stir in some sour cream and top it with tortilla chips and cilantro for the perfect white chili recipe!
White Chicken Chili
This creamy white chicken chili recipe is a simple dinner that is ready in just 40 minutes, making it a fairly quick and simple dinner recipe that is both healthy and delicious.
Beans for White Chili
The BEANS for white chicken chili used in this recipe are white kidney beans (also known as Cannellini beans). Great Northern beans or or Navy beans are both a bit smaller than the white kidney beans but either can be used in this recipe as well.
- CHICKEN: I use chicken breasts in this recipe but chicken thighs will work perfectly too. If you’d like to use leftover Baked Chicken, add it during the last 5 minutes so it doesn’t overcook.
- VEGGIES: I use my favorite tex-mex inspired veggies, onions, peppers and corn. You can add whatever veggies you like including zucchini.
- SEASONINGS: To boost the flavor in this chicken chili recipe, I add chili powder and cumin. Mild diced chiles add great flavor, if you don’t have them, you can use a little bit extra poblanos or frozen hatch green chiles. To make it spicy, add some diced jalapeno.
How To Make White Chicken Chili
So simple, it practically makes itself! To make this easy white chicken chili:
- Soften the onions and peppers over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add all other ingredients except the sour cream.
- Simmer the chili for 25 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in sour cream (it is added after cooking to prevent curdling). Serve with your favorite toppings.
To Make White Chicken Chili thicker there are a few options:
- simmer uncovered a bit longer (recommended thickening option if you have time)
- add a few crushed tortilla chips (it will change the flavor slightly)
- blend a portion of the mixture (I try to remove most of chicken pieces in the part I’m blending)
To Cook this in the CrockPot
If you’re wanting to turn this into a slow cooker white chicken chili, it adapts easily.
- Cook the onions and peppers as directed, add the chicken and cook a few minutes longer.
- Add the mixture along with remaining ingredients to the slow cooker (except the sour cream).
- Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. Voila! Dinner is ready when you are.
I love serving this with tortilla chips or even Homemade Garlic Bread. White chicken chili is such a fun recipe to get creative with! Here are my favorite toppings to serve with it:
- Tortilla chips, Cheese, Croutons
- Sour cream, Guacamole, Salsa
- Cilantro, Green onions, Diced jalapenos, or Avocado
To Freeze Leftovers
This Chicken Chili recipe freezes very well! Refrigerate this chili recipe for up to 3-4 days. To store it longer, place leftover chicken chili in freezer bags or a sealed container and freeze up to 3 months.
The BEST Chili Recipes
Easy White Chicken Chili
This white chicken chili recipe is a Tex-Mex inspired meal. Chicken, poblano peppers, green chilis, corn, and kidney beans are slowly simmered in a creamy chicken base.
Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a dutch oven or large pot.
Soften diced onions and peppers in the oil over medium heat until translucent, about 5 minutes.
Add chicken broth, white kidney beans, mild green chilis, corn, diced chicken, chili powder, cumin, and oregano.
Cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
Remove from heat and stir in sour cream and cilantro.
Serve with your favorite toppings.
Consistency: If you’d prefer a thicker white chicken chili, remove the lid after 15 minutes and simmer uncovered.
Flavor: Add more chili powder or diced jalapenos for a spicier kick. Experiment with different types of beans, such as black or pinto beans for a new twist.
Chicken: Mix it up by using chicken thighs or shredded rotisserie chicken instead of diced chicken.
Toppings: Top it with shredded cheese, diced avocado, crushed tortilla chips, corn chips, or sour cream.
Slow Cooker: This recipe is also great in a slow cooker, cook on low for 4-6 hours or high for 2-3 hours. Thicken by mixing 2 teaspoons cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water. Stir in 15 minutes before serving.
Keep leftover easy white chicken chili covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Freeze portions in zippered bags for up to 8 weeks.
Serving: 1.25cup | Calories: 286 | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 49mg | Sodium: 463mg | Potassium: 864mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 555IU | Vitamin C: 48.8mg | Calcium: 85mg | Iron: 3.2mg
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.