This Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal is a cozy breakfast made with wholesome oats, shredded apples, and warm spices while naturally sweetened with maple syrup and plump raisins! We also topped this with crunchy pecans and a delicious maple cream cheese glaze!
Note: This post first appeared on December 11, 2012. It has been updated with bright new photos, but it’s still the same delicious recipe you all love!
Trust me when I say this is EVERYTHING you want for breakfast. Wholesome oats, chunks of delicious apples, warm spices, naturally sweetened with maple syrup and plump raisins all drizzled with a maple cream cheese glaze! Such a cozy breakfast (or dessert) that can easily be thrown together in just 10 minutes and baked in the oven for the perfect way to start any morning!
This apple cinnamon baked oatmeal has the consistency similar to bread pudding and the warm flavors really make this dish truly comforting. You can also feel good about sharing this with your whole family because this baked oatmeal is made with real, wholesome ingredients without using any butter or oil. My daughter had so much fun helping me make this and gobbled it right up!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Rolled oats – I used whole-grain old fashioned rolled oats for this recipe, just make sure they’re certified gluten-free if making GF baked oatmeal
- Shredded apple – the star of of this whole recipe! I used Honeycrisp apples because of that wonderful tart/sweet taste, but any type of apples will work
- Baking powder – acts as a leavening agent to help this baked oatmeal rise
- Almond milk – I used unsweetened almond milk, but any type of milk will work in this recipe to soak the oats
- Eggs – adds protein and helps hold the baked oatmeal together
- Applesauce – I used unsweetened applesauce which takes the place of oil in this recipe and adds even more apple flavor
- Maple syrup – naturally sweetens this baked oatmeal and tastes incredible with all the warm fall spices! You could also use honey or other natural sweetener of choice
- Vanilla – the perfect flavor boost!
- Spices – a combination of cinnamon, nutmeg and salt
- Mix-ins – I added in some chopped pecans and raisins for some added crunch and sweetness, but feel free to use any type of nuts you prefer or leave them out if nut-free
- Maple cream cheese glaze – a delicious combination of cream cheese, maple syrup, cinnamon and a little almond milk. Completely optional, but SO good!
How to Make Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal
- Mix ingredients. In a large bowl, whisk together the rolled oats, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt, then set aside. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, applesauce, maple syrup, shredded apple and vanilla until all combined.
- Make the batter. Pour the wet ingredients in with the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Add in the raisins and then transfer the oatmeal mixture to an 8×8 or 9×9-inch baking dish coated with non-stick spray. Sprinkle the top with chopped pecans (or other chopped nuts), if desired.
- BAKE! Bake the oatmeal at 350 degrees F for 45 to 50 minutes until the center has set and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let the oatmeal sit for 5 minutes to cool before serving.
- Maple Cream Cheese Glaze. While the oatmeal is baking, place the cream cheese in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 15 to 30 seconds, until softened. Whisk in the maple syrup, milk and cinnamon, mixing vigorously until smooth. Drizzle the glaze over each portion, serve and enjoy!
Prepping and Storage
To Store: You can store this baked oatmeal in a sealed, airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. When ready to re-heat, either cover the entire baked oatmeal with foil and heat in the oven at 350 degrees F for about 20 minutes or re-heat individual portions in the microwave or toaster oven.
To Freeze: This baked oatmeal can also be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months in a sealed, airtight container. Alternatively, you can also slice the oatmeal into individual portions, wrap them in plastic wrap and store them in sealed freezer bags.
More Apple Recipes You’ll Love
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Total Time: 60 mins
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups shredded apple (about 2 apples)
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 3 Tbsp chopped pecans
For the Maple Cream Cheese Glaze:
- 3 oz cream cheese
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp almond milk
- Dash of cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together oats, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, almond milk, applesauce, maple syrup, vanilla and shredded apple, stirring until well-combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients in with the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined then fold in the raisins.
- Pour oatmeal into a prepared 8×8 or 9×9-inch baking dish coated with non-stick spray and sprinkle the top with chopped pecans. Bake in the oven for 45 to 50 minutes, until the oatmeal has set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- While the oatmeal is baking, place cream cheese in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 15 to 30 seconds, until softened. Whisk in maple syrup, milk and cinnamon and mix vigorously until smooth.
- When oatmeal is done baking, remove and let cool for 5 minutes before serving. Drizzle the maple glaze over each portion and enjoy!
*This baked oatmeal will last in the fridge in a sealed, airtight container for up to 5 days or in the freezer for 3 months.
- Serving Size: 1/8th of recipe
- Calories: 263
- Sugar: 9.9 g
- Sodium: 164.2 mg
- Fat: 9.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 33.1 g
- Fiber: 4.2 g
- Protein: 6.6 g
* Please note that all nutrition information are just estimates. Values will vary among brands, so we encourage you to calculate these on your own for most accurate results.