Delicious Peanut Butter Trail Mix Balls easily made in just 15 minutes with a few simple ingredients! Perfect back-to-school snack that your kids will love!
Calling all peanut lovers! You are going to love this one. These bite-sized, poppable treats make such a great snack that you can just grab out of the fridge anytime you’re in the mood for something sweet and now that I have a toddler, she shares my love for them too! These peanut butter trail mix balls are easily made in just 15 minutes, require zero baking and all you need are just a few simple ingredients that are probably already sitting in your pantry. They make the perfect little serving size too and I’m obsessed with this salty/sweet combo!
With kids heading back-to-school, these trail mix balls are such a fun snack to surprise them with when they get home and would fit perfect in any lunch box. They’re also great for meal prep because these balls will last up to two weeks in your fridge, however I doubt they’ll last that long 😉
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Old fashioned oats – these oats with their delicious nutty texture are what make these balls so filling! You could also use quick cooking oats or gluten-free oats
- Peanut butter – this is what binds all the ingredients together and is a great source of protein. You could also use almond butter or any other nut butter
- Flaxseed meal – this is great for added nutrition, protein and fiber, but you could also use chia seeds or even hemp seeds
- Honey – this is what helps these balls stick together and they make a great natural sweetener! You could also use maple syrup or agave
- Trail mix – I used a delicious assortment of peanuts, almonds, raisins and mini M&M candies, the perfect sweet and salty combo. If you don’t want big chunks of nuts in your balls, simply pulse the nuts in a food processor a few times or you can give them a rough chop!
- Chocolate chips – because who doesn’t like a little more chocolate?
- Vanilla extract – this just adds another layer of sweetness!
- Optional add-ins – shredded coconut, dried fruit like raisins, cranberries and blueberries, or you could even try different types of trail mixes
How to Make Trail Mix Balls
Simply add all your ingredients to a large bowl and mix well until all combined! Cover and chill the dough for at least 15 to 20 minutes which helps make the balls easier to form. To make the balls, I like to use a 1-inch cookie scoop to make sure they are all the same size and roll the balls using your hands. If they start to get sticky, I find it’s helpful to get your hands a little wet to help roll them. And that’s it!
Prepping and Storage
You can store these peanut butter trail mix balls in a sealed airtight container in your fridge for up to 2 weeks (if they even last that long!) or you can easily freeze these up to 3 months. These are the glass storage containers I use, but you could also use freezer-safe Ziplock bags if you prefer.
Tips, Tricks and Substitutions
The great thing about these peanut butter trail mix balls is that you can make them to your liking! Here are some delicious substitutions, tips and tricks to making the perfect balls.
- Make sure to roll the balls after the mixture has chilled for at least 15 to 30 minutes. This makes rolling them so much easier! If you’re having trouble rolling the balls because they’re sticking to your hands, try getting your hands a little wet or add a tablespoon or two of water to your mixture. This makes the balls easier to roll and prevents the mixture from falling apart.
- You can easily swap out the peanut butter for any type of nut butter! Some other great options are almond butter, cashew butter and sunflower seed butter.
- Maple syrup can be used in place of honey to make these balls vegan, just make sure to use vegan chocolate chips and omit the chocolate candies.
- Swap out the chocolate chips for more raisins, dried cranberries or feel free to leave the chocolate chips out altogether.
- If you don’t feel like rolling these into balls, press this peanut butter mixture into a square 8×8 pan lined with parchment paper, cover and chill in the fridge. Once they’ve set you can slice them into bars!
More Snack Recipes You’ll Love
Hope you all enjoy these Peanut Butter Trail Mix Balls and if you love this recipe as much as we do, please leave me a five-star rating below and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram using the hashtag #eatyourselfskinny! I love seeing all your delicious recreations!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- 1 1/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 2 Tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup drippy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup honey (or maple syrup)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cups trail mix (mixture of peanuts, almonds, raisins & M&M candies)
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl until well combined. Chill the mixture in the fridge for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Using a 1-inch cookie scoop, roll mixture into balls. Trail mix balls can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks and in the freezer for up to 3 months. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 ball
- Calories: 193
- Sugar: 9.4 g
- Sodium: 71.2 mg
- Fat: 10.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 22.3 g
- Fiber: 1.9 g
- Protein: 5.5 g
* Please note that all nutrition information are just estimates. Values will vary among brands, so we encourage you to calculate these on your own for most accurate results.