This cheesy zucchini rice is ooey gooey and a divine comfort food that makes the best side to any meal. It is so cheesy and delicious, and the best part is that it has a vegetable in it that my kids will actually eat!
If you are wondering what to serve this with then I have got you covered! Serve this delicious side dish with things like this pork schnitzel, these yummy garlic ranch chicken skewers, or this honey butter-baked chicken. It goes with every meal!
Cheesy Zucchini Rice
I love zucchini season. Not only do the best recipes come from it, but I love that I have an overabundance in my backyard. And I especially love being able to sneak it into different recipes so that my kids will eat it. We usually have rice for a side. So why not make it amazing by adding cheese and zucchini!?
We have now made this recipe 3 times since. I am telling you that it is one of the best sides that we have ever had! Everyone gobbled this down and even asked for seconds! You have got to put this on the must-make zucchini recipe list. Everything about this is incredible. From the cheese loaded inside to the zucchini hidden throughout, the flavor is out of this world! It ends up being the star of the dinner table.
Cheesy Zucchini Rice Ingredients
This recipe is so simple and easy! In fact, you probably already have most of these ingredients at home to make this quick side dish. Check out the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact ingredient measurements.
- Chicken Broth: I like the flavor of chicken broth, but you can substitute vegetable broth or beef broth. It will be a slightly different flavor but still amazing!
- Rice: I use long-grain white rice to go with the zucchini!
- Butter: The butter adds richness to the dish.
- Shredded Zucchini: You will end up needing about 2 cups of grated zucchini. This equals out to be about 2 medium-sized zucchini.
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese: I like to use freshly grated cheese from the block. Then you get the best taste and texture.
- Salt and Black Pepper: These will enhance all of the flavors in the recipe.
How to Make Cheesy Zucchini Rice
You will be amazed at how simple this recipe is! It’s such a great way to add a veggie to a side dish and make it hearty, flavorful, and filling all at the same time!
- Cook Rice: In a medium saucepan, add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Then, stir in the rice, cover, and reduce the heat to low. Cook it for about 20 min until the liquid is gone.
- Stir: Remove from heat and add butter, zucchini, and cheese. Stir and let stand for about 5 min. Add Salt and Pepper to taste.
Variations and Substitutions
Here are a few tips for making this cheesy zucchini rice casserole work perfectly for you and your family! I love that this side dish goes with just about every meal, so we make this a lot!
- Rice: You can use different rice, such as jasmine or even brown rice or minute rice. Adjust your cooking times and adjust the broth according to your rice cook times and ratios.
- Hide: This is a great way to hide veggies! If your kids are scared to see the green, then you can peel the zucchini before you shred it. This will blend in a little bit better.
- Add-ins: If you want even more flavor, then you can add spices to this recipe to your liking. I would start with some garlic, chili powder, paprika, basil, and maybe even oregano. The possibilities are endless!
- Cheese: I like the cheddar cheese, but that’s totally a personal preference. You can trade out the type of cheese for one you’d prefer. I also think that parmesan cheese is delicious!
How to Store Leftovers
If you are lucky enough to have leftovers of this cheesy zucchini rice, then you will be happy to hear that it’s super easy to store and also tastes fantastic the next day!
- In the Fridge: Store your leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. Leftovers will accumulate a bit more water as the zucchini softens and you recook it.
In a medium saucepan, add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Stir in the rice, cover and reduce heat to low and cook for about 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
Remove from heat and add the butter, zucchini, and cheese. Stir and let stand for about 5 minutes. Salt and Pepper to taste.
Updated on July 28, 2022
Calories237kcal (12%)Carbohydrates27g (9%)Protein8g (16%)Fat11g (17%)Saturated Fat7g (35%)Cholesterol30mg (10%)Sodium444mg (19%)Potassium287mg (8%)Fiber1g (4%)Sugar2g (2%)Vitamin A436IU (9%)Vitamin C17mg (21%)Calcium160mg (16%)Iron1mg (6%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.