This vegan coleslaw is the perfect summer side dish. A creamy, sweet, and tangy dressing coats lots of crunchy veggies – no one’ll guess that it’s vegan!
This easy vegan coleslaw is the perfect side dish for a summer cookout, picnic, or BBQ. It tastes just like classic coleslaw, but the ingredients all happen to be 100% plant-based. A creamy, sweet, and tangy dressing coats crunchy cabbage, carrots, and scallions. Set it out at your next gathering with whatever you’re grilling, and I promise, it’ll be a hit! No one will guess that this coleslaw is vegan.
Vegan Coleslaw Recipe Ingredients
This vegan coleslaw recipe calls for 10 simple ingredients:
- Cabbage – I love using a mix of red cabbage and green cabbage to create a blend of colors, but you could pick just one or the other if you prefer.
- Carrots – For more color and crunch! Instead of making shredded carrots on a box grater, shave them into thin ribbons using a vegetable peeler.
- Scallions – They give the slaw an oniony bite.
- Vegan mayonnaise – It gives the dressing its creamy texture. Use store-bought, or make your own!
- Apple cider vinegar and Dijon mustard – For tang.
- Maple syrup – It sweetens the dressing.
- Celery seed – Its savory flavor tastes fantastic with the sweet and tangy dressing.
- And salt and pepper – To make all the flavors pop!
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
The first step in this vegan coleslaw recipe is making the dressing. You’ll love this homemade dressing. It’s SO much more flavorful than a store-bought one, and it’s made with a handful of basic ingredients. It’s super easy to mix up, too. Just add the ingredients to a bowl and whisk to combine!
Then, toss together the veggies. I like to shred the cabbage and slice the carrots and scallions myself because I think it gives the slaw the best texture and flavor. But in a pinch, pre-shredded coleslaw mix will work here too. Once you combine the scallions, cabbage, and carrots, add the dressing and toss to coat.
Season to taste, and you’re ready to serve! This vegan coleslaw also keeps well in the fridge for up to 2 days.
What to Serve with Vegan Coleslaw
This vegan coleslaw is the perfect side dish for a potluck or cookout! For a great plant-based BBQ, try pairing it with any of these main dish vegan recipes:
More Vegan Picnic Salads
If you love this vegan coleslaw recipe, try one of these vegan salads next:
Serves 4 to 6
Tossed in a creamy, tangy homemade dressing, this vegan coleslaw is a delicious side dish for summer cookouts and BBQs! It keeps well in the fridge for up to 2 days. Gluten-free, dairy-free.
- Scant ¾ cup Vegan Mayo*
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- ¾ teaspoon celery seed
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 8 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 medium carrots, peeled into thin ribbons
- 3 scallions, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
Make the dressing. In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayo, apple cider vinegar, mustard, maple syrup, celery seed, salt, and several grinds of pepper.
Make the coleslaw. In a large bowl, toss together the cabbage, carrots, and scallions. Pour the dressing over the top and toss to coat. Season to taste with more salt and pepper as desired.
*For store-bought vegan mayo, we like Sir Kensington’s Fabannaise or Chosen Foods.